Wordpress 3.x (MU Now Integrated)
Ok so I've gone as far as purchasing a domain name for this. I already own igottcha.com but I have plans for drupal on that so I wanted a separate domain to play on with Wordpress. g0tt.info is an untraditional domain (not the .com, .org, or .net that most people are used to) but I wanted to grab something inexpensive to play with.
I also had something else in mind as well. After installing less than a handful of solo Wordpress installations and reading something about 3.x integrating multi-user functionality into it, I wanted to test this. And if everything goes well I'll only have to manage one Wordpress site instead of managing all of the configuration files, security, plugin updates, and other things that one has to keep up with in managing all of the Wordpress installations one has to contend with on multiple sites. A plugin for MU domain mapping is going to be a big help here.
Thanks to RT, I mentioned him in my previous post, I've started down this route of believing I can have a monetized site that will at least pay for itself. I don't have any pie-in-the-sky aspirations. I've been around the IT world long enough to know that most of these things take time and grow slowly. But hey I'm patient, and willing to plug away at anything that worth doing.
Ok, so RT gets some credit for this (or some blame if you want to look at it that way) and I'll be reading over a lot of the great information on this subject that he's written there over the years. And for the stuff that I can't find by searching his blog I'll ask him a question or two and see if I can get some answers from him without wearing out his patience (I know he's a busy guy). So this MultiUser thing for Wordpress is one of the things that I asked him about; I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned anywhere in his blog. And his response to my question? ... "... frankly, I don't consider the MU stuff to be mature enough to use. There are hundreds of plugins that won't work right with it."
Ok RT. So I was right in the middle of a MU installation based on Wordpress 3.1 and I value your opinion enough to stop what I was doing and devote a couple of hours to dig around about this. I only presume two things 1) RT is quite technically competent. I've been reading his blog for a few months and after managing IT people for a few years I think I know a good one when I see one. 2) I value Wordpress. I don't think they would release something that's as bad as RT seems to be saying. Perhaps RT is exaggerating a bit (I don't know if his personality is void of this or not), or maybe his experience is just based on the previously non-integrated version of Wordpress MU before they threw it into the mainline version. I'll just dig around and find out what there is to know.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home