Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Personalizing My Domain Name Servers

Ok remember when I wrote about how I'm getting into webhosting and web designing again? Well that last week has been a challenge along the lines of the hosting. Wow is there ever a lot of dust I have to blow off of my old knowledge regarding A-Records, CName, DNS Glue, and all of that stuff that makes sure that the information from the webhost in the DNS Zone is properly pointing back to the stuff in the registrar and that in turn points back to the webhost. I'm grateful for the additional complication. It wasn't quite this difficult ten years ago but (if I understand it correctly) Verisign has added some additional security measures in order to make spoofing a little more difficult.

The last two days I've been going back and for with the my registrar and my hosting provider for my reseller's account. Being a webhost is certainly not as easy as just getting an account. It appears that not even the guys at the two companies know when and where a DNS Zone need to be edited. Either that or they are just not taking the time to really read the tickets that I'm creating in order to give me the right information.

The last ticket I put in with my registrar hadn't been responded to in over 24hrs so I decided to create a new ticket to clarify a point. Of course I wanted to be sure I understand this or I would end up changing the information in the wrong place (registrar vs hosting provider). In the last ticket the agent had told me that I didn't need to create A-Records after setting up my personalized domain name servers (DNS) with them, however I was being instructed to do so according to the research I had done on the net (including a forum) and another ticket I had submitted

Ok so I've read over the case several times, mulling it over in my mind and trying to look at it about five or six different ways ... What started to make "it click" for me (I think) was when I was considering adding a cname record through my registrar. As I started following the instructions in one of their support articles it lead me to "Click the box next to the domain name(s) that you want to create the CNAME Record for." and "Then click on the “IP link”" ... From there I got a system message on the registrar's site that said "Some domains selected are not using our Name Servers. The system will automatically change the Name Servers." ... That's where I stopped and began pondering something I had read in the forums.

What I read in the forums, which I had shared in the previous case before, was "Once you have done this you would need to set up NS records and A-records at your host (or wherever you have your DNS Zone Hosted) that point to those IPs as well.". You see, up until this point I had assumed that my registrar always hosted my DNS Zone. But then it occurred to me that the "DNS Zone" was likely hosted wherever the actual IPs were of the DNS Servers that were being used for my account ... And to further hone my education I read this site http://www.ntchosting.com/dns/zone.html which gave instructions that seemed to mirror what I was finding at my hosting service.

Well I still don't claim to fully understand this and I'm waiting to hear back from the ticket. If anyone reading this has some insight to share let me know. I'm certainly not a master in this area yet. But I certainly have a finer hold on it then the average Joe :-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home