Windows Maintenance
Viruses and malware have added so much complication to the problem that, if you get to the point described below "Easier Job Next Time", this article will save you hundreds of hours of your time over the course of your working on your computer. About once every one to two years (depending on how active of a computer user you are) you should completely reinstall your operating system (that is if you are running any flavor of Windows). One of the beauties of Windows is that it is so easy to use; however it's beauty is also it's failing; it is also so easy to break.
Here is what I do to save time in this endeavor.
1) I religiously save my data to a USB external drive.
- I have two external drives (both 250 gig or better) and have gotten in the habit of never saving my data to the internal hard drive on the computer. The first one is my primary data drive and then I connect the second one at least once a month (I should do it more) and synchronize the data using a program called SmartSync Pro.
2) I then make a copy of everything in 'my' start menu directory and also the "All Users" directory:
- Examples: C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Start Menu and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
... This helps me in having a list of all of the programs I had installed. Later I can go through the list and decide which ones I want to reinstall.
Now for the techy stuff
These next steps I will only recommend for the intermediate to advanced user. Or for those that want to offer suggestions/direction for a technician that they will pay.
3) In order to save all of the setting for the programs that I might have installed (I have so many) I also backup the following folders (which might be a bit large).
- C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Application Data
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
- C:\Program Files
Note: If they get a bit large I will delete the directories (from the backup I just made) of games and programs (like MS Office) whose bulk does not saving it's settings worth the trouble.
4) Insert Windows XP CD, or whatever you might be using, and do destructive reinstall (not a simple repair installation).
... I won't give any instructions here. If you've never this then I won't suggest you practice on your machine unless you are prepared to have your computer in an unusable state for (worse case scenario) three or four weeks while you get the kinks worked out.
Note: If you have used the PartedMagic CD as I've described below then you will have a much easier time here.
5) Now you can begin the process of recreating the user directories, and copying the start menu and program directories back to where they belong.
Easier Job Next Time
To make the job easier next time, you can employ the use of several free utilities that I personally use.
Parted Magic: Is a CD image that you can download and burn. There are several useful backup utilities on their (I use clonezilla the most). This is most effective when you first reinstall your OS, the very first day after reinstallation. Once you get most of your key programs an operating system tweaked the way you want it, you can use clonezilla to make a backup of this "perfect image". This can same many hours in the future. If you've never seen this in action you will be amazed the way it does what it does.
EASEUS Partition Master 3.5 Home Edition: Note they are up to version 4.1.1 but I used version 3.5 ... I was amazed that the free version did 100% of everything I needed and 95% of everything I have ever used Partition Magic (a similar commercial product) for. Imagine being able to create and resize partitions while your are currently running windows; wow! ... Be careful and backup your data first if you need to use this (just in case something goes wrong).

Labels: Tim Talks, Tip of the Week


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home