Sunday, June 04, 2006

Backup Power

Ok, just call me the double tip of the week guy. I can't help it I'm on a writing spree. You've heard me on TV talking about backup solutions, even 'my' backup solution. As any good tech will tell you; backup backup backup. However amusingly many good techs are like the cobbler whose children have no shoes to wear :-)

Me? Well I'm a Smartsync Pro guy. I've used it for three and a half years now. There are hundreds of ways you can use it including have it back up a set of files, automatically zip those files up, and email those files to an address of your choice after the backup.

How do I use it? Well I have have two USB external 200 Gig drives which I use SmartSync to, you guessed it, "sync". Every night while I sleep Smartsync compares the contents of the two drives and syncronizes only the files that have changed.

'No' special files formats to fitz with. One drive goes down, I start to use the other while I wait for the other drive to be mailed to me. It was very nice to have that handy two years ago when one drive failed. Oh, and I should also say that being able to unplug one of my USB drives and take it with me is great too. Even if the drive is damaged or stolen in public I don't have to be concerned with loosing more than one day of data. Well, and my precious two hundred gig drive too .

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home