Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Jot Spot

Good afternoon everyone. Just doing my usual Internet exploration and I came across http://www.jot.com. It's a cool online collaboration tool that it's 'reall'y easy to sign up for. No credit card, no muss no fuss. It's a simple and fun way (pardon my marketeez) to get your feet wet in the wiki world. I was able to create an account in less they thirty seconds (huh?). Wow, that's the most painless process that I've gone through in a long time. Ok, says here that I get twenty pages with five users for free. Sounds like a really good start to begin playing, or to begin a small company effort if that is your bend.








Though if you are hoping for something long lasting I would simply play and learn the tools here. But also prepare to 'possibly' move somewhere else just in case; backup, backup, backup. I checked out archive.org and it appears they haven't been around for more than three years though. I couldn't check their past offereings because up until 2005 their robot.txt file was blocking archiving. A few years before that the web site was used for some kind of Asian tour offering company.

The quicky is that a wiki is a website designed for collaboration. In a wiki everyone can edit, update and append pages with new information, all without knowing HTML. That sounds confusing, but believe it or not, there are some ideas like this one that have made it possible to track all of that kind of activity without making an untrackable mess out of it. And this was is great. I loved the easy to view version history. Ok, I'm in now. As soon as I logged on I got this very fluid pop up screen that actually looked pretty as far as pop up screens go. It told me the dirty basics on how to get started. How to personalize your wike, Visit the training center for free video tutorial, invite other users, etc. I'm a jump in and get it kind of guy so I clicked on "hide ths window" and started playing.

Wow "Private" I like that idea. A big red icon in the upper right shows me that no one else can see this unless I tell them about it. That's a good idea. But because I want you to see what I've created, I took a couple of minutes to create a "jottester" account. The password, is "password". Ok, with that aside I started to play. Took me only five minutes to create what I did becasue I just copied and pasted. Then went in and added a couple of pictures. You too can check out what I did using the above log on information. After you've looked at it then you can create your own and play too. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home