Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Text File of Your Directory

And you too can get overcharged for as little as nineteen ninety five! Well, more like $25 or $29.95. Oh, and there was one here for $15 ... aren't they such the great guys. Ok, I had a brain blip. It took me about fifteen minutes of looking around before my brain finally clicked through a database in my head that hasn't been normalized since 1993. I slowly trotted back through time as I googled.

The first link in that relational databased took me back to a time that I was learning Unix. I remembered there was an output command that could be used to send a directory structure into a text file. And that little tid bit reminded me of some DOS utilities that had been created to mimic Linux commands.

Ok, so I search a little more and then it suddenly clicked ... err, wait a minute. 'Pipe', hmm. ... ">" ,,, hmmm. Ok, I can't remember what it was; gotta google it. "How to print directory contents in DOS". And there it was! The first hit on the list. You see, there is some use for this old stuff in my head. It saved me $19.95.

Ok, well it didn't save me any money because I wouldn't have paid that for the program. However it did save me time. Because I probably would have stuck to my searching the Internet for a free program that was out there. I'm sure it exist. Please add this to your top ten reasons to not be afraid of DOS. Dig in there. Learn that old stuff it's useful !! Oh, and btw, the command was "dir/b /s > dirlist.txt" :-) Just typed that in the directory that I wanted to create a text file list of; and viola!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home